Our charity shop in the heart of Caterham is looking for a friendly volunteer to join our team and help make our shop a huge success. Make new friends, have fun, and help us help more animals!
Overview of opportunity
As a volunteer Charity Shop Assistant, you would join a small team working with the shop manager and 2-3 other volunteers to help make it a success and raise vital funds for animal welfare.
About the RSPCA
Founded in 1824 we have been saving animals for almost 200 years and are proud to be the oldest welfare charity around. It has always been our vision to live in a world where all animals are respected and treated with compassion, so our volunteers and employees work tirelessly to ensure that all animals can live free from pain and suffering.
About Our Charity Shop in Caterham
The shop is part of the Croydon, Crystal Palace & District Branch, and plays an essential role in raising the profile of the RSPCA in our local community and funds for our branch so that we can continue our vital animal welfare work. Our shops sell donated items, including clothes, books, bric-a-brac and collectables.
We have positions available on the shop floor and in our stock room or you could volunteer to do a mixture of both.
Volunteer Charity Shop Assistant responsibilities
· Helping customers in the shop find what they need.
· Accepting donations of items and money from the public.
· Processing sales through the till and card machine, including Gift Aid.
· Sorting through donated items to determine what we can sell.
· Preparing donated items for sale by steaming and hanging and items.
· Merchandising stock on the shop floor.
· Creating attractive shop window displays.
What we are looking for in a volunteer Charity Shop Assistant
· Friendly volunteers who are confident talking to people.
· Retail experience would be ideal but is not necessary as full training will be given.
· We are ideally aiming for someone who is flexible and can offer an ongoing commitment.
· Good communication and numeracy skills.
· You will need to be aged 16 or over.
What we can offer you as a volunteer Charity Shop Assistant
· A way to meet new people and make new friends in your local area.
· A place where you will learn excellent new skills to add to your CV, such as customer service, multi-tasking, merchandising, and many more.
· An excellent induction and training programme relevant to your role.
· The opportunity to make a huge difference to the welfare of animals.
· Reimbursement for any reasonable travel expenses you may incur whilst volunteering with us.
We hope you are interested in volunteering for our branch! For more information and to apply, please contact Jacqui on 07548840934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Protecting our volunteers and customers is extremely important to us; therefore, due to Covid-19, we have implemented a range of new measures. These include; using plastic screens, providing hand sanitiser, storing donations for 48 hours before sorting, wiping down hard goods, steaming clothing items, doing regular cleaning, as well as social distancing.
Our voluntary roles are subject to an informal interview and trial period. We will ask you to provide contact details for two referees and dependant on the position you may be required to sign an agreement and undergo specific training before starting the role.