Caterham Valley has a cauldron of free spooky surprises planned for half term.
The hocus pocus is woven around a new Halloween trail that takes families all around our Surrey town.
With the help (or hindrance!) of four visiting spooks, your mission is to hunt for vital ingredients needed by Wendy the scatty witch and Wilberforce the wizard to cook up their Halloween super-spell. But they won’t be able to do it without you!
The magic begins in Church Walk Shopping Centre, where young trailers meet the first of the characters – will it be Wendy or Wilberforce, Matilda (the ghost who’s scared of children) or perhaps sensible Bridget the Bat?
“It’s going to be as silly as it’s spooky and is guaranteed to raise lots of smiles,” said Andrew Browne, Chairman of Caterham Valley for You, which is organising the trail. “We hope lots of youngsters will dress up and join in, and we’re planning some treats to thank them for helping make the magic work.”
We are delighted to be working with Cat’s Grin Theatre Company on the Caterham Valley interactive Halloween trail.
Need to know:
- The trail runs on Thursday 28, Friday 29 and Saturday October 30, 2021 and is suitable for primary and junior school aged children.
- The start/finish point will be open between 11am and 4pm (located near Morrisons in Church Walk Shopping Centre) – we recommend you start by 3pm to allow time.
- If you want to pick up a trail sheet before your visit, you’ll find them at Lorimers, Caterham Valley Library, Croydon Gymnastics Club, Caterham Valley Post Office, Caterham Sweet and Savoury Waffles and Beach Caterham.
- At the start point, you will be able to collect more trail sheets and meet Wendy the Witch, Wilberforce the Wizard or one of their Halloween friends, who will send you on your enchanted way.
- Once you have completed the trail, return to the starting point to hand in your sheet. Don’t worry – if you’re not quite back in time, you can still post your sheet in the box at Specsavers Opticians.
- Two winners will each win a £25 Lorimers voucher and there will be a little bag of sweet treats for all entrants who return by 4pm. Lucky winners will be notified by Friday November 5.
A little admin…
- Share your Halloween fancy dress selfies on our Facebook page – just for fun!
- Halloween trail terms and conditions
More Caterham Valley events with a Halloween theme:
- In the build up to our Halloween trail, Caterham Valley Library will be holding a drop-in Spooky Story Time on Saturday October 23, 11am to 11.30am and a Spooky Craft session (prebookable via the staff desk at the library) on Wednesday October 27, 11am. They will also have a display of seasonal books and a colouring competition.
- Croydon Gymnastics Club will be hosting a Halloween Camp from Tuesday October 26 to Friday October 29. Drop the kids off at 8.45am to 9am for a fun-packed day and then pick up at 3.30pm. £35 a day. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries and to book a place.
- Church Walk Shopping Centre is laying on a pumpkin giveaway between 11am and 3pm on Saturday October 30 (or whilst supplies last!).
- Cancer Research UK Caterham is hosting a Halloween colouring competition this October. There is a prize of a family meal at The Beach up for grabs, plus the winning picture will be framed by Caterham Galleries. For your chance to win, draw or colour your best spooky Halloween-themed picture and drop it into the shop by October 31. Entry is £1, with all monies raised going to the charity.
- Croydon Gymnastics Club will be hosting a Halloween Party on Saturday October 30, from 5pm to 7pm. Tickets are £10 per child with a party bag and food included. There will be games, fancy dress, raffles and more. One free accompanying adult per child (£5 per additional adult). Email email@example.com to book a place.
- Enjoy a Halloween kids’ party at Beach soft play on Sunday October 31, with two hour party slots from 9am to 11am, 12 noon to 2pm and 4pm to 6pm. £10 per ticket with disco lights, music and a goody bag. Parental supervision required. Wear your best fancy dress! Suitable for kids up to 8 years of age. Find out more on The Beach’s Facebook page.
Read on for more information about Caterham Valley