In our latest visit to a Caterham business, we catch up with the managing director of Jade Insurance Consultants, Martin Kemp, to find out his insider tips on the town.
Tell us a bit about Jade Insurance…
Founded in 2002, Jade Insurance is a general insurance brokers and specialises in business, commercial and corporate insurance. Our clients come from all walks of life and range from shops and pubs through to larger corporate organisations. We have been based here in Caterham since 2006.
What made you decide to set up in Caterham?
We live up on the hill, so know the town well, and it’s nice to have our office in walking distance, just down in the Valley. I can’t say I always walk to work but enjoy it when I do. I must admit, it tends to happen more often in the morning, when I can walk down the hill, rather than back up it!
Is there any advice you would have for other business owners in the town?
I think the important thing for me is to engage with the rest of the business community. For example, I’m a member of the local BNI group, which meets at the Surrey National Golf Club, in the nearby village of Chaldon, and is good for networking with other businesses. I’m also on the festival committee, which as well as being a nice thing to do is a good way to get to know other members of the community. Finally, I’m also a member of the local Catholic group, the Catenians, too.
Why should someone visit your business for the first time?
Our ethos has always been loyalty to our clients, and, as a result, we are proud to have worked with some of them for 20 to 30 years. Our intention is always to gain their trust while offering an excellent level of care and attention. We also ensure that we always do our very best by them, whether that’s with the right cover, price or advice.
What would be your top tip for someone visiting Caterham?
It’s not strictly speaking in the Valley, but hopefully allowed as it’s very close. In short, I would highly recommend a visit to the ancient church of St. Lawrence, which dates back to the 11th century, and I believe is mentioned in the Domesday Book. It also has a really interesting history.
Describe your typical lunch break to us…
On a nice sunny day, I might just take a walk up to Timber Hill Park. Alternatively, you may just find me at Casa Lola or the Crown & Pepper, both of which are very good for different reasons. Finally, you might also find me slaving away at my desk like a good boss.
Finally, tell us your favourite thing about the town…
There’s a great spirit of community in Caterham, thanks to the very willing, capable and enthusiastic people that we have here. Everyone works together to help each other.
- Find out more about Jade Insurance Consultants in the Caterham Valley business directory.
Meet more Caterham Characters…
- Meet Stuart Johnston from home-improvements business, Shard Solutions
- Meet The Caterham Cobbler, Stilios Photiou
- Meet Said Yazici from Caterham Sweet and Savoury Waffles
- Meet Andrew Browne from JJ Browne & Son jewellery
- Meet Abigail Pedrick from Pedrick’s Zero Waste Shop
- Meet Erika Giucastro, team leader at Clarks Shoes
- Meet Paul Smith, director of Fenchurch Insurance Brokers
- Meet the joint owner of Specsavers, Sundip Patel
- Meet Vitaltone Pharmacy and Vitaleyes Opticians’s Shim Patel
- Meet the manager of St Catherine’s Hospice charity shop, Emma Glass
- Meet Bow Butterfly’s Katie Kennedy
- Meet Time Hair & Beauty’s Katherine Casey-Farmer
- Meet Caterham Galleries’ Jodie Green
- Meet Surrey Strength and Performance owner, Daniel Iaciofano
- Meet Helena Fortley bridal boutique’s Sally Brady
- Meet Wingate’s Ben Clarke
- Meet Huntley Cartwright’s Chris Huntley
- Meet Bib & Tucker’s Togs Ali
- Meet The Wedding LookBook’s Ying Shi